Sip yourself to a healthier you with this thick, delicious smoothie for breakfast or even dessert – it’s that satisfying and sweet.
This is an all-time favorite breakfast around here, especially on busy mornings when the kiddos need to take breakfast on the go. It’s the perfect balance of healthy fats, carbs, protein and antioxidants!
It’s nourishing and tasty with elderberry, cherries, bananas, nut butter, chia seeds and coconut milk. One of the reasons I love smoothies is because you can pack so many nutrients into one glass. Oh, the wonders of a blender!
We rotate between this delicious smoothie and our favorite Elderberry Smoothie Bowl (great when you need to add a bit more substance like granola, nuts, etc.).
Smoothie bowls are not ideal on the go — the floor of my minivan can tell you that. Smoothies on the other hand, are perfect for busy mornings!
Five Wholesome Ingredients… That’s It!
This delicious Elderberry Cherry Smoothie is made with five wholesome, organic ingredients:
- Elderberry syrup
- Frozen cherries
- Frozen banana
- Almond butter
- Coconut milk
Pretty simple, right?
There’s not one bit of added sugar either, just natural sugar from the fruit. You also get protein with nut butter and healthy fats with coconut milk. Not to mention all of the superfoods your body gets by adding a drizzle of elderberry syrup.
I’ve chosen organic ingredients to make this smoothie as healthy as possible. Here are a few tips for picking good, clean ingredients for this recipe:
- Read the label on your nut butter. Stay away from canola, sunflower, safflower, or any seed oils for that matter. Look for ingredients that contain organic peanuts and salt only.
- Choose organic for your frozen cherries, banana and elderberry syrup. This means you don’t have to worry about pesticide residue. Grab USDA Organic Elderberry Syrup here.
- Look for coconut milk with simple ingredients. Skip the thickeners such as guar gum or GMO carrageenan. This is my favorite brand.
Real ingredients make a huge difference when it comes to your overall health and well-being.
My family tries our hardest to stay away from anything processed or artificial because I only want the best for my boys. All five of them. Six if you include my husband!
Fast & Easy… Yes, Please!
As a mom of five boys, I’m all about fast and easy. Especially when it’s also nutritious and delicious. This smoothie meets all those requirements!
It’s as simple as tossing all of the ingredients into your blender and pushing that beautiful little “on” button. Then, BAM. Breakfast is served. Or lunch – whatever you need it to be. It’s glorious.
Let me add that my boys are bottomless pits. I’m not even kidding. If you have a teenage boy, you know EXACTLY what I’m talking about. But listen… this smoothie actually fills them up! Crazy, I know… but it’s true.
Want to know why their bodies cease to crave everything in my pantry after having one of these smoothies? You guessed it… because they’re nutrient-dense. Fast, easy, healthy and filling!
Elderberry Cherry Smoothie Ingredients
This recipe calls for just five ingredients. All of which are probably already in your kitchen. If not, they’re easily found at any grocery store.
So here’s everything you’ll need to sip on this yummy smoothie:
- ½ cup Elderberry Syrup: Mine is made with aronia berries, elderberries, apple cider vinegar, cloves, ginger, honey and cinnamon. This delicious syrup will add a boost of antioxidants to supercharge your immune system.
- 1 cup Frozen Cherries: With the perfect balance of sweet and tart, you’ll get an incredible boost of vitamin C and anti-inflammatory plant compounds.
- 1 Frozen Banana: This adds a creaminess like no other and gives your smoothie just the right balance of sweetness.
- ¼ cup Almond Butter: It’s no secret that protein is vital for a strong and healthy body, and most of us aren’t getting enough. This is an easy way to add protein to this yummy treat.
- ½ cup Coconut Milk: Extremely rich in healthy fats and can prolong the feeling of satiety (great for those growing boys).
The only prep you need to do before starting this smoothie recipe is to peel a banana, put it in a Ziploc and set it in the freezer. Then you’re ready to go.
How to Make This Delicious Smoothie
Ok, are you ready? Making this smoothie is ridiculously simple.
Step 1: Put all ingredients in your blender.
Step 2: Turn your blender on high and let it do its thing until everything is nice and smooth.
Step 3: Pour into a glass or to-go cup and sip your way to a healthier, more satisfied you!
Note: You can drizzle in more coconut milk if it’s too thick. Just a little bit at a time though. You don’t want it to get too runny as it’s hard to go back once you’ve put too much in.
Sound like a plan? Are you in? Good! You won’t regret it.
Extra Immune Support
With so many sicknesses going around, we could all use some extra immune support. Between school and sports, I know my boys can definitely use it. That’s why we get our elderberry in every single day, no matter what.
Elderberries are our first line of defense, and it really does work. We went from constant sickies to barely ever getting sick. When we do catch something, we follow the intensive dosage instructions on my elderberry syrup bottles and, sometimes in 24 hours, we’re over it. It’s incredible!
The kids and I love the taste so much, I started adding it to some of my favorite recipes. It took my cooking to an entirely new level. From elderberry barbeque sauce and elderberry vinaigrette to mini elderberry cheesecakes and elderberry pie, they have been a hit!
Check out my recipe blog here if you haven’t already.
This delicious and satisfying Elderberry Cherry Smoothie is a quick and easy way to take in your elderberry syrup, adding in immune-boosting properties in every sip.