This homemade BBQ sauce recipe is super quick to make and full of smoky and sweet flavors that are finger-licking good!
BBQ sauce is something we don’t take lightly around here.
We love a good smoky sauce that’s still a little sweet. It’s all about balance, right?!
That’s exactly what this recipe has… the perfect balance.
You can use it on just about anything. Use it to make BBQ chicken, pulled pork, or ribs. Try it on pizza (hello delicious BBQ chicken pizza!), as a dipping sauce for fries, or as a glaze on meatballs and meatloaf.
Or just top your good ole’ burger and hot dog with it.
So many possibilities! It won’t disappoint.
This recipe only calls for a handful of ingredients, and it’s super easy and quick to make. My kids call it the BEST BBQ SAUCE EVER!
The Secret Ingredient — Organic Elderberry Syrup
There’s one thing we add to our BBQ sauce that’s different from any other recipe out there.
Organic elderberry syrup!
It adds the perfect touch of sweetness, so you can skip out on any added sugar in this recipe.
Organic elderberry syrup is packed with an immune-boosting punch.
Just a simple dose daily can impact your overall health in drastic ways.
My family went from a bunch of constant sickies, missing out on a lot in our life, to energy-filled and back to making some incredible memories together.
Now that I’ve personally learned how powerful elderberries are, I’m crazy passionate about them. That’s exactly why I crafted my own elderberry syrup.
To provide immune support that’s natural, organic and nourishing.
So it only makes sense that I’d figure out a way to use my Elderberry Syrup in this sauce! It took a little tweaking, but once I got the measurements down for this recipe… it became necessary to have a bottle in the fridge at all times.
Delicious meets nutritious!
Why This Is the Best BBQ Sauce Recipe Ever
There are quite a few reasons why this is the best BBQ sauce.
1. Flavorful — There’s nothing worse than a bad BBQ sauce. It can ruin your entire meal, especially if you slather it on and then realize it’s too sweet or too tangy. This BBQ sauce is the perfect balance of smoky and sweet. Let's just say this, it has it all!
2. Stores Well — You can easily whip up a batch (or 2 if there’s a crowd) of this sauce and store in a jar in the fridge. It keeps for 3 weeks. Mine has never lasted that long though.
3. Everyday Ingredients — Almost everything you’ll need for this recipe, you probably already have in your pantry or fridge. If you’re missing the organic elderberry syrup, be sure to shop here or on Amazon and order a bottle so you’re good to go.
4. Easy — Like seriously super, super easy. It’s just a matter of whisking up some ingredients and simmering on the stove for a bit. Use immediately or refrigerate, the choice is yours.
Ready to get a batch going? Great!
Homemade BBQ Sauce Ingredients
To make this recipe, you’ll need the ingredients below.
- 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Organic Elderberry syrup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 3 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- Spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and onion powder
How To Make Elderberry BBQ Sauce
I love a good BBQ sauce, but if it takes me an hour in the kitchen to make, I’ll pass. As a mom of 5 boys, I love quick and easy recipes.
This recipe couldn’t be any simpler! Just three simple steps.
STEP 1: In a medium saucepan, whisk together all ingredients.
STEP 2: Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium heat and allow it to thicken for about 15 minutes.
STEP 3: Dig in! Enjoy immediately or let it cool and store it in the fridge.
How To Customize Your BBQ Sauce
We’re all different, and we all love our BBQ sauce a little differently.
Thankfully, this recipe is super easy to tweak and customize to your taste buds.
MAKE IT SMOKIER: Just add a little more liquid smoke.
MAKE IT SWEETER: Add more honey to taste.
MAKE IT TANGIER: Add more vinegar.
MAKE IT THICKER: Simmer longer for a thicker consistency.
MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: All of these ingredients can be found with the GF label.
Favorite Ways to Use Elderberry BBQ Sauce
This BBQ sauce is so delicious you’ll want to dip or top everything with it.
Here are a few of our favorite ways to use this sauce.
- MEAT — chicken, pork, ribs, pulled chicken/pork, you name it
- PIZZA — use as the base for amazing BBQ chicken pizza
- DIPPING — dip french fries, onion rings, chicken nuggets, meatballs, etc
- DRIZZLE — on top of pizzas, burgers, casseroles, baked beans
Smoky, sweet, immune-boosting and easy to whip up in just 15 minutes!
Are you ready for grilling days yet?! We are!