Craving a good chocolate mousse but trying to make healthier choices for 2024? We’ve got you!
I don’t know about you, but creamy chocolate desserts speak straight to my heart. I’ve made healthy versions of chocolate truffles, chocolate tarts, rich chocolate zucchini bread and chocolate elderberry swirled fudge — all mouthwatering.
But everyone has a favorite, right? Even if you don’t want to admit it. A favorite aunt, a favorite lipstick… well, my favorite (dessert, that is!) is this chocolate mousse.
Why is it my favorite? Because it’s ridiculously easy to make. Seriously. I can have a craving and, 10 minutes later, be indulging in the most dreamy dessert ever.
I’m Lindsey, the mom and wife behind Elderberry Queen. Baking is something I find so much joy in. It’s a constant in my life. No matter what season I’m in, or how hard life feels, good food nourishes my soul in every way.
Baking is the comfort I always need and it seems to make everything a little bit better. I’m so thankful for the opportunity to share my treasured family recipes with you, including this delicious chocolate mousse.
What Makes This Mousse So Dreamy?
The reason this dessert comes out so dreamy and delicious? Those incredible, real food ingredients. They’re simple, delicious and full of various health-boosting benefits.
So, let’s chat about those simple ingredients, shall we?
- Full-Fat Coconut Cream: offers a rich source of healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals, supporting nutrient absorption and providing a delicious dairy-free alternative for cooking and baking.
- Organic Cane Sugar: healthier alternative without synthetic pesticides or chemicals.
- Maple Syrup: a natural sweetener tapped from maple trees, not only adds a distinct, rich flavor to dishes but also contains antioxidants and minerals like manganese and zinc.
- Cocoa Powder: packed with antioxidants and flavonoids, imparting a deep chocolatey flavor to recipes while offering potential health benefits.
- Vanilla Extract: contains antioxidants and has been linked to potential anti-inflammatory properties.
I don’t know about you, but when I use ingredients that are good for my health, the dessert ends up tasting even better.
I also appreciate it when my stomach doesn’t hurt as soon as I finish indulging. I’m sure you know the exact feeling I’m talking about. Mind going down memory lane with me real quick?
No More Belly Aches
When I was a kid, I looked forward to those fancy cups of mousse that my grandma would make every New Year's Eve. They were so velvety, creamy and rich. And she only made them on this occasion, which made them feel even more special to me.
But every single year, I’d leave my grandma’s house with a belly ache. It’s funny how the following year, I was so excited about that mousse and completely forgot about how I got sick over and over. It’s because I never linked the two until my grandma couldn’t make it one year.
In my late teens, my grandma was sick over New Year's. So she didn’t host a party or make those delicious mousse cups. And guess what? It was the first time I wasn’t sick by the end of our visit.
It dawned on me… it was the mousse. For some reason, even though it was sooo good, it made my stomach toss and turn until I was nauseous and ready to go home.
My grandma eventually shared her recipe with me, and I realized the ingredients weren’t healthy — not even the slightest.
- Condensed Milk: is full of hormone-ridden milk and tons of sugar.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: is full of hormones as well and adds to the heaviness of anyone’s digestive tract.
It was too much for my tummy as a kid. But I wanted to keep the tradition with my family after growing up, so I recreated the recipe. Healthier, still delicious and as creamy as ever — plus, no belly aches.
Are You Ready for Chocolatey Goodness?
This dessert isn’t just for New Year's Eve or New Year's — it’s the perfect treat all year long. Whip it up for Valentine's Day, birthdays, get-togethers or a quiet night in. This chocolate mousse will hit the spot no matter the occasion (even if it’s just a craving).
With healthy ingredients and the perfect portion, it’s time to treat yo’self! You deserve it.
Alright, round up these simple, healthy ingredients, and you’ll be well on your way to chocolate-filled heaven.
Ingredients for Chocolate Mousse
Are you tired of reading about this divine dessert and ready to enjoy it? Good, me too! You’ll need six simple ingredients from start to finish.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk (cream on the top only)
- 1 ½ tablespoon sugar
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Now let’s get into how to combine all these ingredients to make this mouthwatering treat.
How to Make This Chocolate Mousse
Now that you’ve got your ingredients ready, this is how you make this delicious dessert.
1. In a standing mixer, on medium speed, whip together coconut cream, sugar, maple syrup, cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Continue whipping until creamy and smooth.
2. Spoon the mousse into 1 large ramekin or 2 smaller cups, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving!
I love to top mine with whipped cream and a few raspberries. Because chocolate + raspberries = my happy place.
Now it’s time to enjoy this simple, delicious dessert. No belly aches, no guilt. Instead, feel proud of this healthy choice and start your new year off right.
It’s All About Moderation
Being healthy isn’t about saying no to all things dessert and restricting yourself 24/7. Doing this makes you more likely to throw your hands up and completely give in after a while because it’s not sustainable. That’s just the truth.
Instead, you can:
- Make easy baking swaps for healthier goodies
- Follow recipes that have real, simple ingredients in them
- Practice moderation: enjoy one cup of mousse, not 2 or 3
This is how you become healthier long-term, not just for a month or two. We know how easy it is to give up on resolutions. Eating healthier doesn’t have to be one of them if you practice moderation and opt for healthier ingredients.
You wouldn't even guess most of my dessert recipes are healthy because they taste so darn good!
Here are a few you might love:
- Hot Chocolate Cookies
- No-Bake Elderberry Cheesecake Bars
- Gluten-Free Thumbprint Cookies
- Chocolate Elderberry Swirled Fudge
Wholesome and nutritious recipes your entire family will enjoy!
Don’t Forget About Consistency
I used to make big promises to myself for my New Year’s Resolutions. They used to look something like this:
- Hitting the gym five days a week
- Eating no sugar for the entire year
- Journaling every morning
But I failed, and when I failed… I just threw my hands up in defeat and went back to my old ways.
I’ve quickly realized that when I make a small step towards being healthy and staying consistent, it actually sticks and in time, makes a difference in my health.
Making elderberry syrup part of our daily routine was that step for our entire family a few years ago, and wow — what a difference it’s made.
With every spoonful, we’re building a strong, solid wall to protect us from all the sickness out there. It’s the best habit my family has! Taking elderberry syrup every day isn't just about getting rid of sickness. It's about making our bodies strong so they can handle anything that tries to make us sick in the first place.
By making this simple habit part of our daily routine, we're giving our bodies the power to fight off anything that might make us unwell, ensuring a healthy and exciting year ahead.
Will you join me in this small daily habit for the year 2024?
💜 Grab your Organic Elderberry Syrup here and start building your health right away!