Made with elderberry syrup and honey, these homemade lollipops will help comfort and soothe a sore throat naturally!
It can feel like a double whammy when you go straight from the winter season (full of sickness) to spring (hello, allergy season)! It feels like a constant sore throat with no relief.
These Homemade Elderberry Honey Lollipops are a fun and easy way to incorporate the immune-boosting properties of elderberries into your diet.
I love making up a big batch of these lollipops and having them on hand so I can reach for them at the first sign of a scratchy throat. I usually have a mason jar full of these natural cough drops ready to go, too!
Sometimes, we go through the cough drops incredibly fast, and I’d like the kids to have something that slows them down a bit. Something they can savor and allow to soothe their throat longer — but not loaded with sugar, which could hinder their recovery.
These are a perfect alternative if you have a toddler and you’re worried about them choking on cough drops. *Please note that honey should not be given to infants under the age of one!
Since we all know how much I LOVE elderberries, especially for colds and the flu, I decided on Elderberry Honey Lollipops. They’re deliciously sweet and 100% natural.
Health Benefits of Elderberry Syrup
Elderberries have been used for medicinal purposes for centuries and are known to provide several health benefits.
Here are some of the benefits of elderberries:
- Immune System Support: Elderberries are high in antioxidants and help support your immune system, especially during cold and flu season. They’re loaded with anthocyanins, which have anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties.
- Heart Health: Elderberries are a good source of flavonoids, which are antioxidants that may help lower the risk of heart disease.
- Cold and Flu Relief: Elderberries have been traditionally used to help relieve cold and flu symptoms such as coughing, fever and congestion. Also, studies have shown that elderberries can reduce the duration and severity of these cold and flu symptoms.
- Skin Health: Elderberries may help improve your skin’s appearance and promote healthy skin. They contain antioxidants that can help you protect from free radical damage.
- Digestive Health: Elderberries have been traditionally used to help relieve digestive issues such as constipation and bloating. They also help support gut health by promoting the growth of ‘good’ gut bacteria.
Overall, it’s easy to see that elderberries are nutrient-dense and incredibly powerful in supporting optimal whole-body health.
My USDA Organic Elderberry Syrup is made with seven simple ingredients:
- Aronia Berries
- Apple Cider Vinegar
So you’re getting the benefits of elderberries and honey in this recipe, plus the benefits of aronia berries, ACV, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. These are all powerful superfoods designed to support your holistic health.
Health Benefits of Honey
Oh man, our family loves honey!
We use it as a natural sweetener in most of our favorite foods, and these lollipops are no exception. Honey has also been used for centuries because of the numerous health benefits that are absolutely mind-blowing! Try to buy organic and local if you can.
Here are some of the incredible health benefits of honey:
- Soothes Sore Throats and Coughs: Honey’s antibacterial properties can soothe a sore throat and suppress coughing.
- Antioxidant Properties: Honey contains powerful antioxidants that protect the body from damage typically caused by free radicals (free radicals can also induce viruses and bacteria).
- Wound Healing: Since honey is both antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory, it’s super effective in wound healing.
- Boosts Immunity: Honey has antibacterial and antiviral properties that can boost the immune system and help fight infections.
- Digestive Health: Did you know honey can help improve digestion? It can also relieve digestive issues such as diarrhea and constipation.
- Relieves Allergies: Some studies suggest that consuming local honey can reduce allergy symptoms by exposing the body to small amounts of pollen and building up a tolerance over time.
- Energy Boost: Most people don’t realize that honey is a natural source of carbohydrates and can provide a quick energy boost. (Don’t worry, your kids won’t be bouncing off the walls. More like a natural boost to help them get back to feeling like themselves.)
Important note: Honey should never be given to kids under the age of one.
DIY Lollipop Ingredients
The best part about this recipe is that it only calls for two simple ingredients. You’ll need a few tools from the kitchen as well!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup Organic Elderberry Syrup
- 1/4 cup honey (local & organic if possible)
- Lollipop sticks
- Lollipop mold
- Candy thermometer
Ready to get started? Let's do this!
How to Make DIY Lollipops
The time it takes to make these lollipops is less than the time it would take you to make a store run and pick them up.
Plus, you can rest easy knowing these lollipops are 100% natural and healing for you and your family.
Are you ready to make these soothing lollipops? Here we go!
1. In a small saucepan, combine organic elderberry syrup and honey over low heat.
2. Stir the mixture continuously until the honey has melted and combined.
3. Increase the heat to medium and clip the candy thermometer in the pot, ensuring it’s not touching the bottom, but the tip is completely submerged in the mixture. Continue to stir the mixture off and on until it reaches a temperature of 300°F (150°C). This will take about 30 minutes.
4. Let it sit at 300°F for a bit, and when you see it rising beyond that, remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
5. Next, pour the mixture into the lollipop molds and immediately insert lollipop sticks.
6. Let the lollipops cool and harden for several hours or overnight.
7. Once the lollipops harden, remove them from the molds and store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
Note: Be careful when working with hot candy syrup, and make sure to use food-grade lollipop molds and sticks.
Getting Better With Elderberry Honey Lollipops
These heavenly Elderberry Honey Lollipops, made with elderberry syrup and honey, are comforting, sweet and soothing for anyone with a sore throat. We hope they help you and your family overcome any sickness you’re dealing with.
🌿 Looking for more elderberry recipes to support your health? Check out my recipe blog here.