Delicious and Immune-Boosting Shortbread Bars That Are Made With Simple Ingredients and Designed to Nourish Your Body.
These incredible elderberry shortbread bars are made with a buttery crust, layered with some elderberry gooeyness, then topped off with a melt-in-your-mouth cookie-type crumble.
This recipe is mouth-watering and one is never enough. You've been warned!
It's made 100% from scratch and is 100% delicious. Not to mention just one bar delivers a healthy dose of antioxidants and gets that daily dose of elderberry syrup in. I don’t think your kiddos will object to getting their dose this way.
Elderberry: A Holistic Superfood
You’ve probably heard that elderberries are an antioxidant powerhouse, but there’s so much more to these little gems. They build your immune defenses and support your body by delivering a powerful punch of vitamins, nutrients and flavonoids.
Elderberries are a tried and true method that’s been around for centuries. It’s actually one of the oldest medicinal remedies dating back to Ancient Egypt.
These berries are known for fighting off viruses, building immunity, and reducing inflammation.
Most of its medicinal benefits come from the high concentration of antioxidants. The antioxidants rid the body of free radicals which in turn boost immunity and help fight off future illnesses.
This recent study shows that when taking elderberry while sick can significantly reduce the duration and symptoms by up to 4 days.
BENEFITS OF ELDERBERRY:
- Rich in flavonoids
- Powerful antioxidant
- High in vitamins and nutrients
- Helps relieve cold and flu symptoms
- Helps treat respiratory infections
- Reduces free radicals (and oxidative stress)
- Contains anti-cancer properties
- Tastes delicious
- Great to cook with
With all the nasty bugs going around, there’s never a better time to start taking Elderberry Syrup if you aren’t already.
In fact, my family takes a daily dose all year round. If we start feeling sick (which rarely happens anymore), we simply take the intensive dosage and within a day or two, we are back to our old selves.
We also like to cook with this superfood, which led to the creation of our delicious elderberry shortbread bars.
The Best Shortbread Bars Ever
This recipe is for you if you love baking but don’t enjoy spending hours in the kitchen. I’m talking minimal mess, easy to make and every single bite is bursting with fresh flavors. Count me in.
The shortbread crust and topping are made from the same mixture keeping things simple with fewer dishes, yay, You can easily make this recipe free of gluten by using gluten-free 1:1 baking flour. So no one in your home with a food restriction has to miss out on these.
The homemade elderberry filling is made with elderberry syrup, cornstarch and a little lemon juice. That’s it. It’s just a matter of cooking it down and letting the mixture thicken to your preferred consistency.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are many many reasons you’ll love this easy and delicious shortbread recipe.
- Immune-boosting and nutritious
- Easy to make
- Minimal clean-up
- Made with simple real ingredients
- Flavored naturally
- Great for a quick weeknight dessert
- Easy to slice, easy to serve
It’s a staple in our home and I make it a little too much, but hey, no one’s complaining about it.
Ingredients for Shortbread & Elderberry Filling
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients for this recipe, in fact, you may already have them sitting in your fridge or pantry.
Here’s what you’ll need.
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 cup Organic Elderberry Syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons organic cornstarch
FOR THE SHORTBREAD (CRUST & TOPPING):
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or gluten-free 1:1 baking flour)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
You can see this recipe only calls for natural simple ingredients. If you’re in need of USDA Organic Elderberry Syrup, just click here to learn more about what I’ve crafted for families just like yours.
How to Make Elderberry Shortbread Bars
These shortbread bars are so simple and easy to make. Once you give this recipe a try, it’ll be your go-to whenever you have a sweet tooth. I swear.
Here’s how to make them:
TO MAKE THE FILLING:
1. Pour 1 cup of Elderberry Syrup into a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high.
2. In a small bowl, mix 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 2 Tbsp cornstarch until smooth.
3. Pour cornstarch and lemon mixture into elderberry syrup and continue to whisk until bubbly.
4. Allow the mixture to thicken, stirring constantly. Once it becomes a honey-like consistency, pull off the heat and set aside to cool as you prepare the shortbread mixture.
TO MAKE THE SHORTBREAD:
1. Preheat your oven to 350℉
2. In a mixing bowl with your paddle attachment, cream together 1 cup of cubed cold butter, ½ cup of sugar, ¼ tsp salt and 2 cups flour for about 2 minutes on medium-high. It will become crumbly, that’s exactly what you want.
3. Lightly grease an 8x8 baking dish (or line with parchment paper) Add ¾ of the crumb mixture and press evenly to create a flat surface.
4. Spread the elderberry jam on top of the shortbread base and smooth it evenly.
5. Add the remaining crumble mixture on top of the jam.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes uncovered until the shortbread is a light golden brown.
7. Remove them from the oven and allow them to completely cool (you can refrigerate them if you’re in a rush).
8. Once cooled, remove them from the pan and cut them into bars.
Don't worry about it if you can’t wait for them to cool. I try to wait but it doesn’t always happen. I’ll scoop it out while warm (it’s not pretty so be prepared for that) and top it with ice cream.
It’s absolutely divine, my tastebuds are usually going nuts at this point. Drooling and all. Just kidding. Kind of.
How to Store
Store these yummy elderberry shortbread bars in an airtight container on the counter for up to 4 days, or in the fridge for up to a week.
These bars freeze perfectly. Just cut them first, layer them with parchment paper in an airtight container and freeze them for up to 6 months.
We love having these snacks on hand when things get crazy in our house. They can even pass as breakfast if you needed them to!
Give Your Tastebuds a Party
If you’ve got a hankering for something sweet, go ahead and make a batch of these elderberry shortbread bars.
They’ll melt in your mouth with an elderberry filling nestled between the most delicious buttery and crumbly shortbread. Super easy to make and downright delicious.
Don’t miss out on even more healthy delicious elderberry recipes. Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know when a new recipe comes out!