A healthy snack that gives your body everything it’s craving and so much more!
These little balls of energy are awesome! They’re nutritious and make the perfect grab-and-go snack. With just 7 ingredients, they’re packed with protein and are gluten-free and dairy-free.
They’re a favorite in my house and seem to disappear faster than I can make them. It’s impossible to just have one, I swear… I’ve tried. It’s just not happening.
I love these because they’re a snap to make, and I always have the ingredients on hand. It’s a one-bowl kind of recipe that doesn’t even require baking! Can’t get any smoother than that, right?
What Are Energy Balls?
Energy balls are a fiber-rich combination of protein, good-for-you carbs, and healthy fats. They’re roughly 100-200 calories per ball and provide energy-boosting nutrients that’ll perk up the kids after a long day at school.
I love that you can customize them with the ingredients you’re in the mood for. Fruity, crunchy, chocolatey… the possibilities are endless.
They’re a perfect add-on to any meal and pack amazingly well in lunch boxes. They also make a great before or after-workout snack. Portable, and lick-your-lips delicious!
Health Benefits of Energy Balls
Each ingredient in these energy balls is nutritious and boosts your immune system and overall health.
- Helps with weight control, keeps cholesterol in check, reduces the risk of diabetes and heart disease.
- High in protein, fiber, healthy fats, and nutrients such as vitamin E, B6, folic acid, niacin, magnesium, zinc, copper, and potassium.
- It can help lower blood pressure, improve cholesterol, lower risk factors for heart disease, and improve overall heart health.
- Rich in antioxidants, nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
- Elderberries are known for fighting colds and shortening the duration of the flu, but it also helps manage diabetes, promotes mental health, and improves gut health.
- Full of antioxidants, superfood spices, vitamins, and nutrients.
- This healthy whole grain is naturally gluten-free, contributes to weight loss, lower blood sugar levels, and reduced risk of heart disease.
- Great source of protein, carbs, and fiber and loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant plant compounds.
- Coconut benefits heart health, helps control blood sugar, eases inflammation, and kills bacteria.
- Mostly rich in healthy fats and antioxidants, it also contains protein, several minerals, B vitamins, and manganese.
- Seeds help reduce blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, and even the risk of cancer.
- Contain important vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and omega-3 fats.
Real Ingredients, Real Nutrition
Real food, real ingredients… it’s what we live by. None of that processed stuff. Everything we put into our bodies has the power to nourish us or hurt us, it’s as simple as that.
So we’re skipping out on refined sugars and anything that we can’t pronounce. Instead, we’ll sweeten these energy balls with a touch of honey and give them a nutritional punch with superfoods like organic elderberry syrup and shredded coconut.
They’re even healthy enough to have as breakfast! With a few energy balls and a side of yogurt, breakfast just became easy AND healthy.
I make these just about every week. Nutty, sweet, and loaded with good-for-you ingredients, they’re perfect for my busy family.
No Bake Energy Balls Ingredients
- 1 ¼ cup nut butter — peanut, cashew, almond
- ½ cup honey — try to use raw if you can
- 2 tsp organic elderberry syrup
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp flax seeds
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts
- Dried fruit
All you need is a spatula and a mixing bowl!
Alright… let’s get started!
- In a large bowl, mix together your nut butter of choice, honey, and organic elderberry syrup until smooth.
- Stir in oats, shredded coconut, flax seeds, chia seeds (and other optional add-ins) until well combined.
- Chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Then roll into balls and indulge in your little bites of heaven.
Yum! They literally melt in your mouth.
This recipe makes approximately 25-30 medium-sized energy balls. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
They’re good for 3 weeks, but I doubt they’ll last more than a day. Luckily, it’s super easy to whip up another batch!
Are these Elderberry Energy Balls freezer friendly?
You bet they are! These healthy energy balls are my favorite to make ahead in big batches. I love to double up the recipe. Typically I roll the balls, place them on a baking sheet, freeze them, and then toss them in a ziplock that I can store in the freezer.
The kids or I can quickly grab a few on the go. They’re perfect for a busy day, and a great pick-me-up in the afternoon too!
Pro Tips for Making the Best Elderberry Balls Out There:
- To prevent sticking, slightly dampen hands before rolling into balls
- Be sure to use gluten-free oats if you have allergies or sensitivities
- Add a touch of maple syrup if you prefer yours a little sweeter
- Throw in a variety of chopped nuts to add more nutritional value
- If allergic to nuts – sub nut butter for seed butter (sunflower, pumpkin)
- If you’re not a fan of shredded coconut, just substitute with oats 1:1
I hope you give them a try. They’re wholesome, nutritious, and truly delicious! They’ll become a fast family favorite — this I guarantee.
More Healthy Elderberry Recipes
The following recipes are some of our most popular, and I’m sure you’ll love them too!
- Pumpkin Muffins With Elderberry Glaze
- Homemade Elderberry Cough Drops
- Lemon Elderberry Poke Cake
- Elderberry Smoothie Bowl